CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Xbox Birthday!

I tried to make a super cool xbox cake for my DS3's 11th Birthday...well, not as easy as it sounds or looks on youtube.

It's nearly impossible for me as a less than expert-cook to make a cake that is not lopsided as it is...however this time I actually followed the directions and made not one but two fluffy French Vanilla cakes. Really, who knew that using a mixer vs. a whisk, and mixing it for the entire time rather than much shorter times would make such a difference? Okay, probably everyone but me. So, now I know how to make cakes after 40++ years. :)

Well, making the cake is easy, cutting it into an xbox controller shape is easy, however, stacking the super fluffy, moist cakes on top of each other and then trying to ice them is impossible. I know, should have used fondant, but they still would have fallen apart after I cut it.

So, on to cake 3 and 4....iciing container 3 and 4 too...and voila' I had an xbox cake for a great kid. Everyone enjoyed the story of the cake at my expense (no worry, I am strong), unfortunately me and DS2 could barely look at that cake after all the 'mistake' parts we had eaten as we worked on the final product earlier that morning.

Here's the cake...not going to get me on any baking show...but it was incredibly delicious (they say). ;) (DS3's name is blurred, it actually looked nice cut in green fondant.)

No comments: